Concentration of Mind
Aimless thoughts are the seat of the wandering mind. The mind naturally does not seem to stick to anything unless controlled to do it. Controlling one’s own mind to concentrate on a certain activity is inevitable in the day to day life. Without concentration and focus of mind, we cannot do a certain task that has to be done meticulously.
The role of concentration is not only meant to do certain difficult tasks but also a state of mind with calmness and peace that can be experienced.
Why is the Concentration of Mind given a High Priority?
It is said that the essence of knowledge is in concentration. The power of the human mind is limitless. When this energy is concentrated in a single aspect, its result cannot be obstructed.
A good portion of one’s own energy is wasted by mere unwanted thoughts that if could utilize in the needed work with the power of concentration would have yielded the results in a short period of time. The role of concentration in achieving success is evident from the deeds of successful people. (See also How to Control Mind to Become Successful?)
We all do concentrate on some of the other cases. But most people lack intense concentration and get deviated within a short period of time. It is that the difference in their power of concentration is according to the difference in their real nature.
Does this Intense Concentration have Anything to do with Success?
Yes, of course. One might have noticed that studying a new matter with good concentration makes one grasp the ideas very quickly, easily, and precisely. Whereas, studying the same matter with the distracted mind consumes lots of your time and also fails to get a clear idea of the subject.
The more one concentrates, the more power he brings forth to do the task. Retaining the needed thought and also preventing the other irrelevant thought from invading one’s mind is the state of concentration. This state can be achieved through regular appropriate practices. (See 5 States of Mind and Concentration in Patanjali Yoga)
How Concentration of Mind Works?
The mind gets easily concentrated on interesting matters. The following are the different situations that make the mind concentrate naturally.
- When the mind finds something interesting which makes it feel at ease and joyful, makes it easy to concentrate as that it would love to adhere to it. Listening to a piece of interesting music helps in memorizing the few lines of lyrics very easily than just reading the lines as the concentration of mind gets increased.
- When the mind is in a state of uncertainty so that it find something skeptical and thus looking out for the solution.
- When the mind is in the state of excitement that is expecting a favorable condition, such as looking forward to the outcome of the results.
- When one encounters a dreadful or dangerous situation, one’s mind becomes duly concentrated. This is the state of a deep breath where the body of the person becomes still temporarily. This is not the same as the person confronting the audience having the stage fear, but the concentration of a person who hides and tries to escape from the attack of brutal wild animal or such situations can be experienced by watching a movie scene involving certain breath-holding incidences as when one gets completely involved in it.
- When the mind experiences a new situation where controlling bodily activities becomes inevitable. Such as driving a vehicle for the first time requires a good level of concentration.
Many other situations are responsible for the concentration of the mind. Meditation is a powerful technique that will certainly help the aspirants to train the mind to concentrate. Meditation trains the mind to get in focus and controlling one’s own mind for perfection. (Read also How to Practice Kundalini Meditation?)
Physical exercises, like slowing down your breath and taking a deep breath as mentioned in the pranayama, are also effective. Practice it regularly for few minutes makes your mind get to calm down and your ability to concentrate on your activities will be increased.
Do one’s actions with a good mental attitude and knowing the general rule of mind helps unveil the secrets of concentration. Confess the mind about the significance of the certain task, and possibly inflict it with the emotions that are needed for the concentration of the mind that helps the mind to stay in between the frontiers.
Certain concentration exercises like focusing; staring at the object for a short period of time can also help in training the mind as the mental activities can be controlled and forged through regular practices. (Read also Money and Spirituality in Life)
The book “Why Kundalini Meditation So Special?” gives a clear understanding of such practices and a guide for those who seek the path in this field.